Positioning yourself as a business or as an individual is a crucial art form for your chances of success. Marketing is the field of study for most who talk about positioning. In reality, we are continuously positioning and repositioning ourselves with every person we meet or interact with or even those who are aware of our presence.
In order to position yourself effectively, regardless of the situation, there are a number of steps you need to take. When you have taken each step, you will find yourself gaining much better control of exactly how you are seen and regarded by others.
- Understand the different ways you can be positioned. Trustable, Respectable, Honest, Attractive, Funny, Nice, Confident, Intelligent, Strong, Wealthy, Important etc.
- Understand who do you want to be positioned to and WHY? This will make it much easier to understand exactly how you want to be positioned.
- Understand what is important for them. What do they want, fear, hate, need?
- Understand how exactly you want them to regard you. How do you want them to see you and think of you? What qualities do you want to be positioned as having?
- Understand how they already do regard you and how you are already positioned to them.
- Strategically think about exactly what you need to do in order to position yourself in the desired way. This should come from revealing those authentic parts of you rather than ‘acting’ in a certain way to try and trick the other person. People will always find out when it is not coming from the real you.
- Figure out what you are going to do if you do not succeed. What is your back up plan that maximises how effective you are in communicating with them?
These seven steps will enable you to powerfully create the best possible impression in your career or business as well as in your personal life.
Image: Thanks to http://www.gratisography.com/