Today, we’re going to get a little philosophical. But before we can dive into how people transform their beliefs (and how you can transform other people’s beliefs), we first need to understand what a belief is.
In this episode, I will break down some definitions, correct certain misconceptions about beliefs, and explain the mechanics of what goes on in our heads. I will then weigh in on how beliefs function in relation to other matters such as feelings/emotions, religious faith, identity, and even mental health. I will also share practical tips on convincing others to think differently, drawing from real-life examples. Key Takeaways:
- A belief is an idea that we have a sense of certainty about
- People can share an objective belief but that does not make it a fact
- Our identity is a set of beliefs we have about who we are
- The different ways we signal to other people
- The challenge of living in a polarized world
- How to appeal to people so that they consider changing their beliefs (like those who are pro-vaccination and anti-vax)
Subscribe to the Changing Minds Podcast!